Sunday, February 5, 2012

3D Printing - Not So Great After All.....

         After watching Lisa Harouni give her speech on 3D printing I have decided I do not like the idea of this technology.  It seems really fun and cool at first but what are the potential dangers of this....? In high school my we had a 3D printer for part of the year to test it out and the program used to create the data that Lisa was talking about was extremely easy to use. Maybe a little too easy. It would have taken me no more than an hour to design a knife and print it and I had only used the program a few times. Now if I could have made a knife, in school with little training mind you, imagine what a trained person could make. Who is to stop a terrorist group from buying a printer and making their own weapons? Whats after pens, lamps, and kidneys? Knives? Guns? Grenades? Bombs? Weapons of mass destruction? Do we want this kind of technology to be on everyone's desk like Lisa suggests? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment